Thursday, May 29, 2014

My Remembrance-Through-Quotes-Tribute to Maya Angelou (1928-2014)

I may have not read her magnum opus and most celebrated work yet, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, which I'm convinced will simply be beyond in its spectacularness, originality, and historical value, with such few words of wisdom that I learned from her over time and learning about her life alone, she'd already merited her way to my inspirational-pool.

Her wealth of experience combined with tremendous intelligence and courage made her who she was and is, to me, to us, to the world. Definitely she lived every moment admirably. She is and will continue to be a woman whom everybody can turn to for wit, comfort, and reassurance. 

That was how powerful she was and is, at a stroke of a pen, she can move someone to act, in the most Dostoevskian, and Nietzchean élan. 

taken from travelerstoday.com by Reuters

As a form of tribute, I listicle-d my favorite thoughts of hers:



"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"I do not trust people who don't love themselves and yet tell me, 'I love you.' There is an 
African saying which is: Be careful when a naked person offers you a shirt."



"We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty." 

"You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them." 

"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style."

"Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him."


"Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.

"I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass."

"Prejudice is a burden that confuses the past, threatens the future and renders the present inaccessible."

"Nothing will work unless you do."

"It's one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody."



The weird thing is that she doesn't feel dead, well that's almost the constant state for people who did everything and gave it all to the world, she (and they) will remain ipso facto alive. "I confess, I do not believe in time."-Vladimir Nabokov


If you need more convincing on how great she was and will continue to be, or maybe simply not familiar with her, follow the link. http://www.buzzfeed.com/krystieyandoli/50-facts-everyone-should-know-about-maya-angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment