Sunday, August 3, 2014

Convalescing on Paglia, Tolstoy, and Kubrick

Warning to those who have been rained upon by Manila's evaporated from polluted water rain, who are thinking of doing a cake-out just like the one I had earlier this week, bring an umbrella, to make sure your immune-system's not compromised! Also make sure you have enough sleep (who has?) and eat enough. That was the advice given to me by one of my favorite doctors. When he saw me nauseous and totally weak, his first remark when I entered his well decorated doctor's office was how "unusual" I looked. 

As he correctly observed, the sore throat I woke up with yesterday wasn't unusual, what was, was my fever, a type I haven't experienced in years. I instantly felt like my elementary self, feeling the need to rush towards the clinic. The whole day yesterday was a nightmare. I felt like I was dying! I wished for some moments that I was in sedation via heavy barbiturates, just for the nasty dizziness to go away. Grateful that I woke up this morning sans fever. I just need to finish my antibiotic regime. I hope I don't get the superbug, this is like my fourth-regime of antibiotics this year already!

My doctor and I discussed this cake place I raved about and vowed he'd pay a pilgrimage there, as he didn't indict Chocolat as the cause of my illness, rather my "mismanagement of stress," "lack of sleep," and "inadequate proper diet." "Juice your vegetables, eat your fruits." Got it! 

This is one of the first Sundays ever wherein I didn't take a stroll outside or went window-shopping or people-watched or met with friends. I stayed at home. I don't regret it. I had a fabulous day. It started with lessons from Camille Paglia, whom I adore, though I'm yet to read her book Sexual Personae. Before lunch I continued reading Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace, definitely liking it more than Anna Karenina. Spent the afternoon on a Stanley Kubrick marathon, I watched online 2001: A Space Odyssey and A Clockwork Orange.
My prescription-meds.

"Not a novel, even less is it a poem, and still less a historical chronicle."-Tolstoy

An amazing, independent thinker, orator, intellectual, and professor.

Stanley on the set of 2001. A genre was born, thanks to this artist.

Forewarned: A Clockwork Orange is the reality we might face if the current Kantianism continues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment