Friday, August 1, 2014

Under the Skin

Before I share my review of Under the Skin, I shall first give a picture of what I did and witnessed before I was exposed to this another Johansson masterpiece, my fourth favorite, the others being, Lost in Translation, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, and Don Jon

Re-stocked my vitamin hoard. Melatonin is so helpful, and it's gratifying to know how medical journals have been very supportive of its use.

"Eureka!" This cake is so yummy-and cheap-that I've eaten five different cake slices of theirs in just a span of 5-days.

All the five I've tasted are marvelous! A MUST! Non of their creations are too sweet, nor too bland. Perfect balance.

The sunset-view from Mall of Asia is simply stunning.

What a wonder!

Another Chocolat-session. Sigh at the lusciousness of their drug.

Mouth-watering display of the goods.

    This Got Under My Skin
The film was about 40 minutes in when the two women both left. These two women were a bit noisy in a manner I decided to be barbaric. After around 10 minutes later, a group consisting of three people left as well. I wasn't surprised at their philistine-ish response to Jonathan Glazer's loose adaptation of Michel Faber's 2000-novel. I figured it was a normal response to an art film, I guessed, "if such acts happen in Venice, why not in Manila?" 

The film was a sic-fi art film, that centered on an alien woman, in the form of the voluptuous Johansson, who mysteriously seduce men from the Scottish streets of urban decay. While some unknown co-conspirant is in a constant motorcycle drive-through around the deserted drizzly roads of the suburbs and the country. This transpires while Mica Levi's music was at times scary-to the point of asphyxiation-but mostly provoking in a way that gave you a romantic weltanschauung of the outer space. 

While I was inside the cinema the thoughts that were running through my mind were, maybe this is what it's like to be an immigrant during the 60s for some? Maybe her English accent was meant as a metaphor for the "occupation" of Scotland? Was this movie making a political statement on the upcoming Scottish independence referendum? If so, what was it saying? Perhaps what happened to Scarlett's character is revealing? After I saw the film, I immediately read the reviews from RottenTomatoes.com and then read other review articles, as I couldn't quite settle with my general thoughts. I knew I liked the film, I definitely was mesmerized by its music, but somehow I needed someone else's point-of-view to help me out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment