Tuesday, September 2, 2014

International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearance

I was in my favorite bookstore yesterday (in the Philippines), La Solidaridad. When I chanced upon this book, I immediately got intrigued. I scanned and skimmed it for 20 minutes, then I decided that it was a worthy collectible, and so I purchased it, for PHP400.00, which was fine, I justified it as a worthy investment. How right I was. Today, I got so excited with all the wonderfully curated facts collected by the author that I went online to do my own research, and to my delight, it was credible. 

Since it was International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearance last August 30, I decided to honor our fallen Desaparecidos by reminding my readers of their forgotten proper historical perspective, and to always be vigilant to the environment's political climate. To do justice to the injustices committed towards them, this is a start. A clarification of a misrepresentation beamed the world over. 

Passage from Page 76:

"Figures from the Task Force Detainees of the Philippines, in illegal arrest, showed that during a period of 110 months from January 1977 to February 1986, the Marcos government was implicated in an average of 198.94 arrests monthly.

From March 1986 to November 1988, a span of 35 months, the Cory regime chalked up 340.31 arrests monthly, over 70% higher than the Marcos average.

No wonder, President Aquino, less that halfway through her role, was already internationally notorious for her "democratic" regime's human-rights records. Susan Tifft of Time magazine reported in June 1988..."





http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/377052/news/nation/desaparecido-wall-at-up-diliman-to-mark-int-l-day-of-the-disappeared

No comments:

Post a Comment